Bryan Adams interview....YES THAT BRYAN ADAMS!!!





As you know Pretty Woman: The Musical played here a week and a half ago and it was a big hit! "Big. Huge!" Ok, I love that line like everyone else but that's the last time I can say it... for a while at least. Anyway, it closed here on May 12. But the really big news happened on May 13. Wil had been in touch with Bryan Adams' manager hoping to score an interview with him for Kip's Korner. But we didn't hear back. Until we did, on May 13!!

Bryan Adams was touring in Denmark at the time but we were able to send him my interview questions. And here's what he had to say "Straight From the Heart" (Sorry I couldn't help myself):

It’s such a treat for me getting to interview you. My very first live concert experience was in 1983 when you were the opening act for Journey in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. And it still remains my favorite concert. How was that experience for you and what can you tell me about the incredible Steve Perry?

I didn't really know much about Journey before we toured with them, so you can imagine my delight when I heard his voice. The amazing thing about his voice was it never faltered throughout the tour. He reminded me a little of Sam Cooke.

I’m very curious about the path that led to you and Jim Vallance writing the music and lyrics for Pretty Woman: The Musical, and if you had always wanted to write a Broadway musical or was it just an opportunity that showed up in your life?

I’d been dating a dancer on the West End (in London) and walking back from one of her performances she said she wished someone would make Pretty Woman into a musical. It was a lightbulb moment for me, I called Disney the next day and they told me it would never happen due to the content, but that was 2008. 10 years later it was another story!

I was so excited to find out that Andy Karl would be originating the role of Edward on Broadway. We toured together in Cats many years ago and were dressing roommates. What was it like working with all the actors in the show and did you enjoy the “Broadway” life of putting and keeping a new musical on Broadway?

I loved how the whole cast brought the characters to life, and it was very interesting to see how the director put the whole thing together. I’d do it all again if the right thing came along.

Pretty Woman: The Musical played on Broadway in 2018, the West End in 2021 and started touring the U.S. in that same year. The movie is the highest grossing romantic comedy of all time (I think) and so beloved. Did you ever hear from anyone involved in the movie (like Julia Roberts)?

Yes Julia came to the show early on, and of course Garry Marshall the director of the original film was hugely involved from the beginning before we hit Broadway, but he sadly passed halfway through the production… it was his dream to take the show to the stage.

It’s incredible to think your career has already spanned about 50 years and during that time you have had a huge solo career but also have duetted or collaborated with artists such as Barbara Streisand, Celine Dion, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Rod Stewart, Sting & Pavarotti. And many more! Are there any of these performances that you hold most closely or that are most memorable to you?

Yeah …looks like I’d sing with anyone, haha! But truly, Tina Turner was the most fun and I'm forever grateful to her, because she took me on tour with her, and that sort of changed everything. I was 24 at the time. Luciano was also incredibly fun, and an amazing cook.

Do you have a favorite Broadway musical?

“West Side Story” is a good one. 

You have had a wonderfully diverse career in music including studio work, concert tours, film, television, and a Broadway musical. What’s next for you? And I’m selfishly hoping it’s another musical.

Like I said, I'd love to do Broadway again, but other than that, I'm starting a record label for my music, hopefully with loads of new music. Then there are the tours... and maybe I'll stop for a cup of tea in-between. Thanks for the chat!


Thanks for the chat indeed Bryan Adams! Now if you'll please excuse me I need to go talk to my 17-year-old self and tell young Kip that I just had an interview with the pop star that sang "Heaven," which was the theme song for my Senior Prom in 1987. Actually better yet, I'm just going to call my prom date, Laura Inabinet, and tell her! Let me see if I can find our prom picture...


     
Pretty Woman days



1984


                                                


Kip & Laura, "Prom 1987"
Theme Song: "Heaven" by Bryan Adams




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One small step for BTL, One giant leap for Theatre Kids!

Katie Broad on Broadway: 24 years in the making!

Kip chats with Pretty Woman’s Kerry D’Jovanni (he/him/Beyoncé)