Broadway's Miss Argentina from BEETLEJUICE

 

Beetlejuice’s Michelle Aravena discusses driving Lamborghinis & sipping super-dry martinis as Miss Argentina on Broadway

 

We all know that old saying “If you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life”, right? Well in this case it applies because I needed to interview someone from Beetlejuice for Kip’s Korner… So, I called one of my nearest and dearest, Michelle Aravena, who just so happened to play Miss Argentina in the Broadway company.

Michelle is literally my definition of a “triple threat” because she can equally sing, dance and act and as a result she never stops working. Some of my favorite roles she has played to great acclaim are Anita in West Side Story, Fantine in Les Misérables, and Cassie in A Chorus Line. And it’s quite possible she and I played star-crossed lovers Satine and Christian from Moulin Rouge and sang the “Elephant Love Medley” at a Broadway Benefit Concert in Detroit. But enough about that. Let’s talk about Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

What was your personal journey with Beetlejuice and Miss Argentina?

In the pre-covid version of Beetlejuice, Leslie Kritzer was double cast as both Delia Deetz and Miss Argentina. I was cast in the post-covid version of Beetlejuice, affectionately known as Beetlejuice 2.0, where they decided to split up those two roles. But me as Miss Argentina almost didn’t happen. I was in Utah when they reached out to me about auditioning. My nephew is also in this business, and I was out there as his guardian while he was doing a show. Sadly, I had not seen Beetlejuice prior to this, and it was never on my acting radar. But I watched Kritzer perform the number in a bootlegged recording on YouTube and I thought oh my gosh this is EVERYTHING I do (singing, dancing, acting, the accent) so I made a self-tape and sent it in. I got a callback but couldn’t go in because I was in Utah.

A few months went by, and I was in Chicago playing Eva Perón in Evita. Then I got the call asking if I was still interested. Next thing I know I’m auditioning for the creative team via Zoom and booked the role. I had to leave Evita early and get to Beetlejuice a week late for rehearsals. It was very chaotic (in the best way possible) as you can imagine. Which was apropos because the show itself is also very chaotic (in the best way possible)!

What’s the craziest or most meaningful thing that has happened to you during your time with Beetlejuice?

I’ve been in this business for over 30 years. I started at age nine as a dancer and eventually moved into playing roles. Although I play Miss Argentina, the rest of the show I’m a dancer, and this is a super athletic show. I had never had a dance injury before and then two days before we opened, I tore my MCL. I was beyond devastated. As dancers we’re so used to pushing through regardless of what our bodies are telling us. I had to stop myself and think long and hard about this one: I’m 44 years old and what’s really important here? I pulled myself out of the show for a month. I didn’t get to open the show. But the cast and creatives were so kind and supportive. They all told me, “Take care of yourself. You’re not going anywhere, and the show isn’t going anywhere. This is just a moment in time.”

Why should Huntsville audiences go and see this show?

You will never laugh this hard at a show again. Ever! It’s truly a unique piece of art that really embraces everybody’s weirdo. Our fans are amazing and the reason they’re so obsessed with it is our show’s message is “Just Stay Weird!” Honestly, I was worried that I wasn’t weird enough for Beetlejuice, but the show brought it out of me.

Ok Michelle let’s do some “Rapid Fire Questions” where you yell out the first thing that comes to mind. No overthinking!

Favorite Broadway Musical:     Les Miz. Wow I didn’t see that coming.

Favorite role you’ve played:     Eva Perón (Evita)

Favorite role you want to play:     Mama Rose (Gypsy)

Favorite audition song that has gotten you the most jobs:     “Holding Out for a Hero” (Footloose)

Least favorite Broadway Musical:     Be more Chill. Wait should I say that? I don’t want to get cancelled.

Best time you’ve ever had in the audience watching a Broadway show:     Hamilton

Favorite restaurant in NYC:     Marseille (44th Street & 9th Avenue)

Favorite cocktail:     Sauvignon Blanc

Favorite person who has ever interviewed you:     Kip Driver of course!

 

“If I knew then what I know now, I would’ve crossed every line and drank all the wine before my final bow. So before they lower the curtain, be certain to enjoy the show. That’s what I know! Life is short but death is long. Here, one minute then it’s gone. Thought I knew but I was wrong. If I only knew what I know 

                                                                                                 --  Miss Argentina


                                                                                               

BEETLEJUICE
November 28 - December 3, 2023
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday at 7:30pm
Friday at 8pm
Saturday at 2pm & 8pm
Sunday at 1pm & 6:30pm





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kip chats with Pretty Woman’s Kerry D’Jovanni (he/him/Beyoncé)

Come From Away with Sharon Wheatley

11 Broadway Shows in 3 Days… Ready for our reviews?