Wicked's 20th Anniversary on Broadway

 




Wicked turns twenty on Broadway and Christianne Tisdale is here

to spill the “green” tea


It’s hard to believe that Wicked debuted on Broadway twenty years ago! I was lucky enough to see the original cast in October of 2003 and remember being completely blown away by “Defying Gravity” at the end of Act I. It was one of those Broadway moments that will forever be seared into my memory. I’m delighted to interview my friend Christianne Tisdale, aka Tiz  (because no one can pronounce her name), about this monumental anniversary for this prequel to The Wizard of Oz.

Tiz is no stranger to Broadway, making her debut in 1995 as Belle in Beauty and the Beast, and since 2019 she’s been entertaining audiences onstage in Wicked as the Midwife/ensemble as well as Madame Morrible at certain performances. In addition to an impressive list of Broadway and Off-Broadway credits, she is also a reformed opera singer with over 20 roles under her belt. Tiz has also earned degrees from Yale University and Manhattan School of Music as well as a documentary producer title, which officially cements her status as a Renaissance woman.

Most importantly we both have dogs named Milo! So, after we discussed our beloved Milo-s we chatted about all things Wicked.

20 years!! What do you think is the secret to Wicked’s immense popularity and longevity on Broadway?

The show and its themes will always be relevant. It’s about friendship. Someone who has been “othered” but is now demanding their space.

What’s one of the most memorable things that has happened to you onstage during the show?

It happened during my very first performance.  I had transformed into my Ozian character for “One Short Day”, and I had a fan as a prop. Which I promptly threw across the stage by accident. Because I’m old school I never leave a prop behind. I spent the entire number dancing and moving around the stage trying to get closer and closer to my fan for retrieval. By the end of the number everyone offstage was softly chanting “Go Tiz, Go Tiz” until I finally successfully snatched up my fan by the end. I texted the stage manager afterwards, “I’m usually better than this.”

Sadly, COVID-19 closed down Broadway in March 2020 for 18 months. So, what was it like when Broadway reopened?

2020 was devastating for those of us who work on Broadway…which is about 90,000 people in NYC including those industries that support it. And then to have the Governor keep saying, “New York is back” and ignoring us was heartbreaking. So, when we really were back it was magical. I’ve NEVER experienced anything like it before and don’t think I ever will again. I mean Glinda’s first line is, “It’s good to see me, isn’t it?” Stopped the show. Three hours later (the show’s running time is 2 hours, 45 minutes), the curtain came down and then went back up because they wouldn’t stop clapping. I didn’t sleep for days I was so excited.

Can you share anything about the special 20th Anniversary Performance of Wicked on October 30?

No. I’m sorry but they would kill me. All I can say is that there will be a really big party after the show and we’ll all be very Ozmopolitan.

I realize you probably won’t answer this question BUT do you have a favorite Elphaba and Glinda?

They’re all so different, which is what makes it great. The show works in so many different formulations. The actors are given lots of leeway so the characters can breathe and be based on who they are and what they individually bring to these roles. But I always have a special place in my heart for standbys and understudies.

Who is the single most influential person to you as an actor?

My acting teacher Sande Shurin. I’ve worked with her since 1997 and I love her. She brought the joy back into my work. She teaches “transformational acting” which is acting on a cellular level. You do all the prep beforehand and then shake it off and defy gravity.

What advice do you have for the young people in Huntsville with hopes of being a professional actor one day?

If you really love it – practice, practice, practice! And don’t let anyone tell you no. If you don’t really love it? Let it go. It’s really hard.

 

Happy 20th Wicked! I’ll raise a glass to you on October 30 because I’ll never forget seeing this show for the first time 20 years ago and the impact it had on me. “Because I knew you, I have been changed For Good.”
























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kip chats with Pretty Woman’s Kerry D’Jovanni (he/him/Beyoncé)

Come From Away with Sharon Wheatley

11 Broadway Shows in 3 Days… Ready for our reviews?