Come From Away on Tour

  



Alabama’s very own Addison Garner is sitting in the pilot’s seat

as “Come From Away” flies into Huntsville


One of the things I love about my job is that a couple of weeks ago I got to interview my friend, Sharon Wheatley, who was in the original Broadway company of Come From Away (CFA) and now I get to hear from Addison Garner who is coming to Huntsville with the National Tour of CFA playing Captain Beverley Bass. Addison is no stranger to starring in a National Tour as audiences across the country loved her portrayal of the infamous pageant queen, Velma Von Tussle, in Hairspray for the past two years.

Originally hailing from Opelika, Alabama, Addison recently shared this sentiment on her Facebook page: “Here’s to trading in batons for boot cut jeans. I’m so looking forward to earning my wings! The next adventure continues, and I can’t wait to share this incredible story across the country.”

Can you share with us what your journey has been with CFA, from the first time you heard about the show until now that you’re out on tour with it?

I first saw CFA in 2017 when it opened on Broadway. I didn’t know much about it other than it was about 9/11. I remember buying a standing room only ticket and had no idea what I was stepping into. I didn’t know the show would have such a profound impact on me! I thought it was absolutely fabulous, but honestly never thought I would ever have the opportunity to be in it, much less follow in Jenn Colella’s footsteps (Tony nominated actress). To be here on this journey, telling this incredible story, in big cities, small cities and everything in between, I feel so very lucky.

What would you say to people who might be resistant to see this musical because they're afraid it will be too depressing or maybe even triggering for them?

I say, come anyway! While CFA does touch on the tenderness and heart-breaking events of 9/11, it also tells a resurrecting story of hope, kindness and restores the goodness of humankind. It may be a tearjerker at times, but it'll also make you laugh, smile, and remember the unity that 9/11 brought within our nation, that I feel as though we've forgotten today.

What do you think audiences are most surprised about when they see this show?

I think they’re often surprised that it doesn’t have an intermission and how 12 actors with 12 chairs portray such a moving story. The orchestra, which is typically beneath the stage in the orchestra pit, is on stage as well. The set is very minimal; we as actors take on different roles constantly, and I think people are most often surprised at how touched they will be. We often have people that come back for more!

How did you approach playing the role of Beverley?

I haven't met her, YET, but I am hopeful she will come to one of our shows sometime soon. I have watched countless interviews with her as well as several documentaries and I even read her children's book. What makes Beverley different from Velma Von Tussle (Hairspray) is that I'm portraying a real person, with a real story and it's made this role even more special to take on. From being the first female captain, to landing in Gander during a national emergency to when she mentions seeing her husband Tom for the first time, these emotions are hard and real, and it's been the most challenging but rewarding acting perspective I think I have ever experienced.

It must be intimidating to play a character that’s not only based on a real-life person but also someone who could be sitting in the audience watching you play her?

Yes, absolutely. It makes this experience different than any other show I’ve had the privilege of being in but makes it even more meaningful.

I know that the CFA tour just opened last week but is there anything onstage or offstage that has happened and made a big impact on you in terms of the show and its message?

Throughout the audition process, my beloved Grandfather (Pawpaw to all those who knew him) was in his final days. He passed away on the day I was told I had more than likely booked the show. He was so full of life and a lover of all things “music”, and this was a show he would’ve absolutely loved. I feel as though getting to do this show was his final gift to me before he passed. When I sing, “I’m fine Tom, I’m fine” at the end of the show, I picture his face and I know he’s smiling down from above. This show has meant more to me than I could’ve ever imagined. Truly the opportunity of a lifetime.

I am also an Alabama native who pursued a professional career in the performing arts, including National Tours like yourself, and ended up living in New York City. I always felt there was something about being raised in the South but living as an adult in NYC that gave me a professional advantage somehow. I can’t quite explain it, but I wonder if you ever felt that way or your thoughts on it?

NYC people LOVE the southern accent for some reason! When I walk into an audition room and say “hey ya’ll” they always smile. We also tend to be very hospitable and are often known for being kind and easy to work with. I often think it’s because we didn’t grow up in the big city and worked really hard to get to the Big Apple. However, we all know the food is better in the South!

What advice do you have for the young talent in Huntsville that hopes to one day be out there doing what you’re doing now?

GO FOR IT! Life’s too short to not go after your dreams. Grind. Work hard. Be nice. And just go for it. Truly anything is possible if you work hard.







Come From Away
October 27-29, 2023
Friday at 8pm
Saturday at 2pm & 8pm
Sunday at 1pm & 6:30pm






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kip chats with Pretty Woman’s Kerry D’Jovanni (he/him/Beyoncé)

Come From Away with Sharon Wheatley

11 Broadway Shows in 3 Days… Ready for our reviews?