Jessica Rush is THE "manager" of Broadway in both The Donna Summer Musical & TINA

Jessica Rush on Opening Night of TINA


I remember seeing Tina Turner’s video for “What’s Love Got to Do With It” in high school and I was immediately enthralled by her. She was dressed in a black leather mini dress and denim jacket with her spiky blonde hair, just strutting her stuff around downtown Manhattan and singing her heart out. Come to find out later I was witnessing her big comeback, but to me at the time she was brand new and completely original and cool. Well, I’m super excited that Tina: The Tina Turner Musical is kicking off our new season which is only three months away.

It turns out my dear friend of 24-years, Jessica Rush, was in the original Broadway cast of Tina as Rhonda Graam. So of course, I called her to hear all about her experience with the show and a whole lot more. Before I share our chat, here’s a little information about Jess:

Jessica Rush is a mom, wife and award-winning actress most recently seen on Broadway as Rhonda in the original Broadway company of Tina. Prior to that she was a standby for both mother roles in Dear Evan Hansen as well as originating the role of Joyce Bogart in Summer: The Donna Summer Musical. Jessica had the honor of closing the Broadway run of Jersey Boys as the longest running Lorraine, and prior to that, appeared in Guys and Dolls and stood by for Laura Benanti in Gypsy with Patti LuPone. She was the recipient of the Joseph Jefferson Award for her portrayal of Louise in Gypsy at Chicago Shakespeare Theatre and is co-founder of the Broadway Baby Mamas, which led to her podcast with Jersey Boys dressing roommate, Cara Cooper, called “Mamas Talkin’ Loud.” 

But now, here’s our chat about Tina and life in general:

Jess, I can’t believe we’ve been friends for 24 years! So Crazy! We were on the Cinderella tour in 2000-2002 starring Eartha Kitt as the Fairy Godmother and Debbie Gibson (1980’s Pop Star) then Jamie-Lynn Sigler (“Meadow Soprano”) as Cinderella.  You were then bumped up to playing the role of Cinderella in its final year on tour. What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think about the two of us on that tour?

Tour Boyfriend!! Hahaha. I was nineteen years old. You and I were understudies for Cinderella and the Prince, so we used to rehearse together. I had a crush on you. I remember what you were wearing on our first day of rehearsal: A buffalo plaid button down shirt!

(Cue to Kip Blushing…) I remember thinking you had a young “Julia Roberts” thing happening and that you would either go to NYC and conquer Broadway or move to LA and be in the movies. I’m happy to report that you have racked up quite an impressive number of Broadway roles so far. Tell me about playing Rhonda in Tina and what you think of when reflecting on that time.

It's funny because I  played the “manager/lifelong friend” role on Broadway in 2018 as Joyce Bogart in Summer: The Donna Summer Musical and then again in 2019 as Rhonda Graam in Tina: The Tina Turner Musical. Joyce and Rhonda represented Donna and Tina in their careers but they were also dear friends. Rhonda was even Tina’s matron of honor when she got married again later in life. Tina was a very special experience because it was the first time I originated a principal role on Broadway and I also had a song, “Open Arms.”

Our cast was very close in those spaces that we shared together. There were always hugs before our first entrances. It was also a big period of “growth” for me during my time with Tina. Especially because we opened in 2019, but then we were shut down for 18 months starting in 2020 because of the covid pandemic. We reopened in October 2021, but I decided not to renew my contract and left the show in April of 2022. It was the first time I had left a show without another job to immediately go to. But there was a lot of growth for me personally during the lockdown, where I spent all my time with my husband (Eric) and our daughter (Elliot). Elliot and I even started our own business together during that time when we all had to pivot for a while. But that’s for a whole other conversation another time. Haha.

What I haven’t told our readers yet is that you are in Europe right now and talking to me from London, about to head off to Paris. THANK YOU for taking the time to talk to me now so I can hit my deadline. So I will try to make the rest of this quick.

What comes to mind when you think about Summer: The Donna Summer Musical?

Well, here’s the short version: Physical therapy! I was constantly in physical therapy during our run because I had a torn rotator cuff injury from all the dancing. Disco is dangerous y’all!

As you can see by her “y’all” Jessica is from the South! Tell me something about Guys and Dolls.

Something unique is that usually you’re either a hot box dancer or in the Mission Band. But I was both. Which made it pretty insane with the costume changes, etc. but definitely gave you that adrenaline rush. Also, we were the first show to play at the Nederlander Theatre after Rent closed. So that was cool.

What comes to mind when you think about Gypsy (2008)?

EXCITEMENT! It was my Broadway debut, and it was with Patti LuPone. I understudied Laura Benanti as Louise, and I got to go on over 30 times. It was incredibly special that I was able to develop my own little routine with Patti LuPone and Boyd Gaines. Instead of barely going on for the role and just hoping to make it through without anyone getting hurt in the process. Also, Laura is part of Broadway Baby Mamas, and I’ve interviewed her on our podcast too. So, we have a friendship that has lasted beyond just our time together during the run of the show.

And how about Jersey Boys?

I immediately think of “Family.” I shared a dressing room with the same women, including my co-host on the podcast Cara Cooper, for six years! The four of us still have a Marco Polo video chat going and we use it every day.

First thoughts about your time at Dear Evan Hansen (as I google “Marco Polo video chat” because I have no idea what that means)?

What a treat being on that show! I loved getting to really focus on the “acting” in DEH. The mother roles are so well-written. I only wish I could’ve done the show longer, but it was a temporary contract between Summer and Tina.

Jess, you know I could talk to you forever and there’s so much more to discuss but you need to get back to Eric and Elliot and enjoy your vacation! So let’s wrap it up with some “Rapid-Fire Questions” where you say the first thing that comes to mind. No overthinking!

Favorite Broadway Musical:                 Ragtime

Favorite role you’ve played:                 Louise in Gypsy

Favorite role you want to play:             Mother in Ragtime

Favorite audition song that has gotten you the most jobs:       “Hold On” (The Secret Garden)

Least favorite Broadway musical:     I plead the 5th! There were too many people I know that were in it.

Best time you’ve ever had in the audience watching a Broadway show:    & Juliet

Favorite restaurant in NYC:       There are so many for all different reasons, but we tend to end up at L’Artusi in Greenwich Village.

Favorite cocktail:                          “Manhattan” (winter); “Aperol Spritz” (summer)

Favorite person who has ever interviewed you:    OBVIOUSLY my dreamy tour boyfriend, Kip Driver!

 

(Cue to Kip Blushing, again…) Btw, these rapid-fire questions I asked Jess are the exact same ones I asked Michelle Aravena (Miss Argentina in Beetlejuice on Broadway). The three of us have been BFF for so long that it just felt apropos. 

Now here's a bunch of photos to enjoy, starting with one of Jess and me after seeing her in Gypsy:






Jessica (Rhonda) and Tony award winner Adrienne Warren as Tina








Summer: The Donna Summer Musical









Jessica as Cinderella; Eartha Kitt as the Fairy Godmother





Jessica, Eric & Elliot at the Opening of The Great Gatsby







 

 

    

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Katie Broad on Broadway: 24 years in the making!

Kip chats with Pretty Woman’s Kerry D’Jovanni (he/him/Beyoncé)

Mary Badham: From Scout... to Mrs. Dubose